The Leadership Adirondack program is back for 2019-20!
The ARCC is currently accepting applications for this renewed program. Deadline for applications is July 31, 2019.
This community leadership program is designed for individuals who have demonstrated leadership traits in their organizations and have a strong desire to be better informed and involved in their communities. These “rising stars” will leave the program with a better understanding of our growing region and be motivated to make a difference in their organization and greater business community.
CRITERIA FOR THE ARCC LEADERSHIP ADIRONDACK PROGRAM
- Demonstrates a potential for community leadership and a sincere commitment, motivation and interest in serving the community in which they live or work;
- Shows potential for advancement to top leadership positions within their organization, which may result in significant influence on important issues and challenges facing the community;
- Has the time to fully complete the program with the full support of their organization;
- And intends, upon program completion, to seek roles on community boards or committees, key volunteer leadership positions, or public office.
Leadership Adirondack is a dynamic, interactive program that provides skill development and community immersion experiences that enables participants to grow personally and professionally as they explore issues and opportunities in Warren & Washington County.
Through a series of thought-provoking sessions, Leadership Adirondack develops the leadership potential of participants and builds a solid foundation of informed, action-orientated, productive employees and citizens.
The program begins in September with a Get Acquainted Reception where the current class has a chance to meet each other, and past alumni come to encourage them on this five month, life changing, journey. The following week, participants are bused to a two-day overnight retreat where they are provided dynamic leadership training, personal development, and team-building skills.
Beginning in early October and ending in January, nine sessions are held one day a week followed by a graduation ceremony in February. Sessions are themed around various elements of our community/region which serve as a catalyst for expanding awareness in areas such as: Agriculture, Arts & History, Tourism & Hospitality, Corporate Citizen/Board of Director Training, Education & Work Force Development, Healthcare, Manufacturing & Economic Development, Communications & Media, and Government & Legal.
Components of the sessions include tours, keynote speakers, Q&A discussions, and interactive learning opportunities. Each session offers a unique opportunity for participants to gain an inside look at some of the area’s most innovative organizations, connect with influential business owners/operators, government and civic leaders, and enhance their professional networks.
Leadership Adirondack unites individuals from diverse fields and backgrounds to learn more about themselves as leaders and how to best serve their organizations and community where they live, work and play. Leadership Adirondack, in it's 27th year, is proud of the legacy it continues to build with each graduating class.
A volunteer Advisory Council contributes each year to the direction of the program. In addition, each application is reviewed and approved by the council before the candidate is selected to participate. The council is made up of the Chamber President/CEO and program Alumni.
Advisory Committee Members
Name Company Alumni Year Russell Antonacci Glens Falls National Bank & Trust 2016 April Boucher Community Work & Independence, Inc. 2018 Bates Childress Glens Falls Hospital Foundation 2016 Jeremy Deason Associates of Glens Falls Insurance 2016 Margaret DeVries WAIT House 2018 Michael Gerarde KEENA 2016 Stephen Porto Cool Insuring Agency 2015
Eligibility: Individuals who have demonstrated leadership in their respective careers and have a strong desire to be a part of the community/region are encouraged to apply. Individuals must be willing to devote the time necessary to be a full participant in the Leadership Adirondack class experience. Dedication to the community in the form of significant volunteer service is essential.
How to Apply: Click here to download the program application. Application deadline is July 31, 2019.
Commitment: True leaders are serious about their commitments. Your commitment as an applicant to fully participate in the program is essential. Participation at the two-day overnight retreat is mandatory. In addition, to graduate, participants are not permitted to be absent from more than two of the nine sessions. Participation and completion of an agreed upon class project, attendance at a day of caring volunteer effort, and observation of a non-profit board meeting of your choice, is also required. By being a member of the Leadership Adirondack class you and/or your employer are making an investment in you, in your business and in the future of our region. This experience, therefore, requires a commitment by you as a participant as well as from your employer.
Program Tuition: $1,500 for members of the Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce. Tuition covers program costs for the Get Acquainted Reception, 2-day retreat, all nine sessions, meals, resource materials and the graduation ceremony.
- Increased understanding of the critical issues and opportunities affecting the community/region.
- Gain new and lasting friendships from a network of participants who come from different backgrounds and diverse interests.
- Gain access to top leadership in the region.
- Achieve the inspiration to address community challenges and produce change.
- Strengthen leadership skills and management techniques through personal development training.
- A more informed employee with enhanced business opportunities via broadened community/region exposure and networking.
- Awareness and appreciation of diversity in the workplace.
- A new camaraderie with community leaders with access to decision making circles.
- Informed and enlightened citizens.
- A talent pool of trained leaders who can be called upon for collaborative decision making.
- Citizens who are motivated to serve and make a difference.
Leadership Adirondack Alumni
Strong communities are built and sustained by effective local leaders, and our community/region is a testimony to this. The Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce is dedicated to the development of leaders who will serve their communities now and in the future. Many of our program graduates have been appointed to the most senior positions in their organizations and to numerous commissions and boards. Over the span of the past 28 years, the program has graduated more than 350 community leaders. Their voices are among the most influential in our region.
The Alumni Association continues to work together to fund scholarships to the program and performs a variety of community service projects throughout the year. For a list of program alumni click here.