President & CEO
Position Summary: The President & CEO will be a mission-driven, collaborative and innovative leader and manager. The President & CEO will serve as the brand ambassador and champion of Tri-County United Way in the community, which includes connecting with a constituency of givers, recipients of services, individuals, associations, agencies, education partners, government, businesses and other institutions. The President & CEO will leverage the power of relationships and networks, working across private, public and corporate sectors to improve the quality of life in the regional community. The President & CEO will possess a high level of broad business skills, financial acumen, and strategic management to develop and leverage resources and financial support for the organization. The President & CEO will be a driver of change, open to technology and new ideas. As chief spokesperson, the President & CEO will ensure that Tri-County United Way, its mission, programs, and services are presented in a positive and collaborative manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commitment to United Way’s mission and values, including the ability to build relationships internally and with other United Ways, state and local governments, education, nonprofit and private sector organizations.
- Oversight of the strategic plan and the strategic vision to envision the future direction for the organization and the community including alignment with the Modern United Way model.
- Lead the development, implementation, and execution of the annual operational plan and manage the process.
- Leverage and coordinate resources to ensure strategic alignment in the areas of community impact, resource development, board engagement and staff alignment.
- Serve as the principle resource and support to the Board of Directors and its key committees, while providing input in policy formulation and interpretation.
- Collaborate with the executive committee in the development of an effective and motivated board, and continued engagement by board members.
- Responsible for the overall impact of TCUW in the community, with emphasis on increasing its capacity to set priorities and measure impact of social change.
- Provide strategic and long-term visioning consistent with the direction set in partnership with the Board of Directors
- With the Board of Directors, determine objectives and strategies for meeting goals, allocate resources according to priorities, and leverage all resources available to accomplish defined goals and mitigate anticipated obstacles.
- Responsible for developing, in conjunction with the bookkeeper and treasurer, the TCUW budget for submission to the finance committee and the board for consideration. As approved by the Board, the Executive Director will be responsible for all expenditures (operational and programming) within the framework of the budget.
- Responsible for increasing and retaining donors, and planning and execution of events (as well as other duties as they arise.)
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, developing innovative future strategies, researching funding sources, establishing an effective process to approach funders, submitting proposals and grants, and overseeing fundraising records and documentation.
- With the Board of Directors, work toward campaign growth, fundraising successfully within the traditional campaign and planned giving channels and utilizing more modern and relevant development methods and opportunities to increase giving.
- Maintain and foster relationships with current individual and corporate donors, and identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and corporate partners to further develop fundraising opportunities.
- Build and lead a high-performing team and ensure all team members are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results.
- Maintain accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors.
- With the Finance Committee and Board of Directors, manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance and mitigate financial risk.
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multicultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree or a minimum of 10 years experience in the nonprofit sector
Salary Range: $80 - $100K commensurate with experience
Benefits: 401k, PTO and other benefits can be negotiated
Work Environment: Offices at 696 Upper Glen Street, Queensbury, NY
About Tri-County United Way: The Tri-County United Way (TCUW) is a non-profit, community focused organization whose mission is to enhance the quality of life for all who reside in the Warren, Washington and Northern Saratoga county region. The TCUW plays a significant role in helping people to improve lives and make a positive impact in our communities. By developing resources, both monetary and through volunteerism, the TCUW is focused on resolving community challenges through partners and programs and continually identifying and communicating our community’s priority issues.
Our Mission: Tri-County United Way's mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities.
Our Vision: We envision communities where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, financial stability, and healthy lives.
Our Core Values: Our ability to create positive change means being guided by a core set of values and living them every day. These are the ideals of United Way that motivate and inspire our work:
Please submit a cover letter and resume by emailing ExecutiveSearch@tricountyunitedway.org. Cover letters should be addressed to: Tri-County United Way Executive Director Search Committee.
Only candidates deemed qualified will be contacted by the Search Committee.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until June 30, 2022. References will be checked for candidates who advance through the initial interview.
The TCUW is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. We support applications from under-represented groups as well as individuals who have experience with diverse populations.
Note: Only candidates deemed qualified will be contacted by the Search Committee. A letter will be sent to all applicants that are not chosen.