Town of Bolton Office of Planning & Zoning
4949 Lake Shore Drive • Bolton Landing New York 12814 • 518-644-2893
Town of Bolton Planning Department
Notice of Vacancy
The Director of Planning and Zoning is seeking applications from skilled individuals to serve as the Office Specialist in the Town of Bolton. This position is primarily clerical in nature and is responsible for providing overall administrative assistance and support to the Planning and Zoning Department.
The position includes general administrative support to all departmental staff; scheduling meetings, updating the web page, answering phone calls, responding to inquiries, maintaining filing, handling in-coming and out-going mail, processing purchase requisitions and expense tracking, data entry, handling and processing fees collected and receipts, and fulfilling records requests.
• Good knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling; ability to take accurate and complete notes; ability to summarize notes and organize into appropriate format; ability to type accurately; ability to keep detailed records; ability to compose routine correspondence; ability to work independently; dependability; tact; courtesy; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
• Formats, types, and distributes a variety of correspondence, notices, reports, charts, media releases, and other documents requiring special formatting or containing complex terminology, such as contracts, legal documents, and reports.
• Interacts with staff from other departments, elected officials, and the public independently, in person or by telephone, to respond to inquiries and concerns; may deal with sensitive and confidential matters. Most frequently assists with providing technical information regarding zoning regulations, zoning review processes, and assisting with permit applications.
• Assembles agendas and meeting packets, creates, and sends required notifications to adjacent property owners, publishes and posts required legal notices, prepares minutes of meetings as needed for the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals. May be required to attend monthly Board meetings.
• Processes applications and reviews for completeness, collects fees, mails, or sends electronically permit applications upon approval, and maintains records of permit activity and zoning-related reports.
• Composes correspondence to expedite the processing and completion of work.
• Sets up and maintains departmental files, such as addresses, zoning permits, Planning Board, and Zoning Board of Appeals.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Possession of a high school graduation or equivalency diploma and:
• An Associate’s Degree or higher in Business Administration, Office Management or related field;
• An Associate’s degree or higher and one year of paid office administrative or clerical experience which shall have included the use of computer applications or other automated systems; or
• Three years of paid office administrative or clerical experience which shall have included the use of computer applications or other automated systems.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat)
Salary Range: $42,000-44,000
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and application to the attention of Joshua Westfall, AICP, Director of Planning and Zoning at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be obtained from at Employment Application.
Applications being accepted until the position is filled.
The Town of Bolton values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The position will be filled based on Civil Service requirements. A provisional appointment will be made with an examination to be held later. Candidates must meet Civil Service requirements for appointment following establishment of the Eligible List